Monday, August 17, 2009

First Post, Yay!

Hey, all you folks out there in the world wibe interwebz! My name is Jamie, and I just decided to take the plunge into the blogosphere by writing a blog about one of my favorite things-sewing. I have had a passion for sewing since I was very young. My grandmother was a professional seamstress, and my mom has sewed from a very young age, so I guess it's in the blood! I have had aspirations of sewing since I was about five or six, and I did a couple of projects in middle school that...well, let's just say they're best forgotten. It is only recently that I have begun to sew "seriously" (aka make garments that were actually wearable in public), so I'm still very much in the learning stages of how to sew properly. I hope you will come with me on my sewing journey and enjoy the ride along the way!

Before you start reading my sewing blog, you probably ought to know what I like to sew. I'm a 17-year-old girl with what might best be described as quirky sensibilities and style. I love love LOVE to sew and wear dresses, so you'll be seeing a LOT of dresses on this site. I am very fond of cotton prints with animals on them and stretchy jerseys. I especially love frogs and bats. My style could best be described as...um, well, it kind of defies description, as it's basically anything I like and I think is pretty. However, if I had to pin it down I'd say my two favorite personal styles are elegant Victorian and fifties bombshell, with a touch of the bohemian/medieval thrown in as well. So lotsa laces (I ADORE lace), velvets, ruffles et. all, and things in zingy oddly printed fabrics with fitted tops and full skirts. Maybe not *entirely* compatible with each other, but definitely fun. In addition to sewing from patterns, I like to reconstruct bought garments, whether it's just a simple resize or a full-on remake. I never shrink from a challenge in sewing. I try to make pullover garments as much as possible, as I really loathe putting in zippers and buttonholes. (I'll do it, but damn, do I loathe it.) My biggest style icons are Helena Bonham Carter, Marilyn Monroe, and Katharine Hepburn. Fair warning: I'm kind of random, so don't be surprised if I throw off segues about toast or something in the middle of a post. I'll try not to, but I can't guarantee it won't happen. That said, welcome to my blog; I hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment