Tuesday, September 22, 2009

LBD Part Deux

I've been working some more on my LBD, and I think this is definitely going to be what some sewists call a "wearable muslin"- it has a couple mistakes that I'm glad I've made with cheap not-particularly-special plain black fabric rather than my cool bat knit. I don't know if I am loving this pattern as much as I thought I would, but I guess I'll have to actually finish the dress to find out! (The straps aren't as cute as I thought they would be.) Oh well- if this doesn't work out, it was only $3.99. I have a similar pattern in New Look 6699 (which was actually the pattern I used for last year's prom dress; it's partially visible in my profile picture on the top right corner of the page, and one of these days I will get around to doing a proper post on it!). Anyway, here is the pattern:

I think the skirt is a little fuller in the McCall's than in the full skirt here, but there isn't much difference otherwise. I'll definitely be making myself another all-purpose LBD, probably in the not-too-distant future because the fabric turned out to be a good deal sheerer than I originally thought and I think I'll have to wear a slip under it, which sort of takes away from the super-comfy, throw-it-on-and-go appeal a really good versatile dress ought to have. (Holy Run-On Sentence, Batman, but I'm too lazy to reword. I find it easier to acknowledge and move on with life.) If I do, I'll probably be using this pattern rather than the McCalls', because I also found it easier to work with. More on the LBD hopefully tomorrow; I want to finish it so I can wear it Thursday with my fab stripey socks to Chorale practice and feel awesome while I sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment