Monday, September 14, 2009

The Little Black Dress

So, I actually have a couple of these, both RTW, already. One is an empire-waisted spaghetti strap in a semi-sheer fabric with sequined flowers on the skirt. It's adorable and comfy and I like it a lot. The other is a long-sleeved sweater dress with a low v-neck and a pencil skirt that flares and ruffles at the knee. It's one of those rare garments that looks crappy on the hanger and excellent on, rather than the reverse. It is very soft and warm, gives me a va-va-voom figure (not for nothing did Lana Turner and Jayne Mansfield et. al wear sweaters in the '50s!), and generally gets compliments every time I wear it. They're lovely LBDs, but they are both a bit formal for everyday wear and neither can really be mix-n-matched with my variety of sheer overshirts. As I start planning for college, I think more and more about reducing my wardrobe down from its current way-oversized state by adding more pieces that are really versatile. I've been thinking about making myself a simple black dress for a while now, and I found the perfect pattern in McCall's 5292.
image of M5292
Isn't it just too, too adorable? I'm a sucker for all things full-skirted because of my large hips, and I just think this has a very retro '50s cuteness about it that really can't be surpassed. The A and B patterns are ok, but what made me grab this so fast I got the wrong size and had to go back for the right one was the C pattern. I don't like the little bow they added, because it's just a leeeetle too twee and girly for my tastes, but otherwise, it's pretty much my ideal dress. The cinched midriff will bring out my small waist, the scooped neckline is flattering to medium-small boobs, and the skirt glides right over my big butt and thighs. It's simple enough to be elegant, but has enough detailing to make it interesting. (I like the gathers under the bust, for example.) I won't bother taking pictures of the first fabric I want to make this in; it's a thin black silky jersey that won't wrinkle at all and is basically indestructible but still looks (and feels!) soft and pretty. I have no idea where it came from; I think it was born in the Rubbermaid containers in our trailer, like a lot of my other older fabric. If this dress works like I hope it will, I think I'll make it in my stripey Batman fabric and my black and silver bat-print satin knit. I'll just have to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment